The Road to the ESS
The last year of our four-year SINE2020 project is underway. We want to celebrate the work and achievements of the 12 participating countries by taking a road trip across Europe. Over the next 12 months we will look at how our consortium has paved the way to efficient, user-friendly neutron sources such as ILL (France), FRM II (Germany), SINQ (Switzerland), ISIS (UK), BNC (Hungary), NPI (Czech Rep) and of course the European Spallation Source (ESS) currently being constructed in Lund, Sweden; bringing industry, collaboration and innovation onboard en route.
We will explore the contribution of each country – Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands and the United Kingdom – not only to the SINE2020 project but to European neutron facilities and the world of neutrons too.
Every week we will post an item of interest, perhaps a recent research development or news story, related to our featured country, as we travel the road to the ESS.
Our first stops were Portugal and Spain and now we journey to France!
SINE2020 Partners: ILL, CEA/LLB
- Will be hosting SYNERGI 2019 in Lyon on 1st April 2019. REGISTRATION OPEN!
- Scientist Spotlight: Blas Cabrera Felipe
- Will be hosting our final General Assembly 2019 in Bilbao
- Will be hosting SINE2020's Neutrons for the Biotech Industry event in Zaragoza.
- Feasibility test with Spanish company Tryo Aerospace. Read all about the aims of SINE2020 and Industry.
- Contribution – Sample Environment: MC Simulations at ICMA to improve simulation of the signal-to-background ratio.
- Spanish Women in Science: Arantxa Arbe
SINE2020 Partner: LIP Coimbra
- Scientist Spotlight: Egas Moniz
- Hosted our first General Assembly in Coimbra
- Hosted the Neutrons: Cradle to Grave workshop for E-tools, the work package looking at neutron experiment simulations.
- Contribution – Detectors: Resistive Plate Chambers, RPCs – How they work, RPCs: Results so far
- Portuguese Women in Science: Maria Paula Marques and Susana Teixeira